Friday, April 24, 2009

The Facebook take over

As most of you already know, Facebook has become a method of escape for a lot of people. Some people, like me, can’t go a day without checkin our FB page. It’s sad and crazy. There is a test (I’ll give you the questions later), and my results say that I’m perfectly normal…minus the fact I don’t have a spouse that my FB life interferes with. But honestly, if Facebook went away I wouldn’t be sad. This new Facebook is just so ugly and it has so many people that shouldn’t be on it…I wish they would do away with it and start fresh. Anyways, here is the test borrowed from Paula Pile (she’s a smart doctor).



The Facebook Compulsion Inventory
Directions: Please circle your answer to each of the questions using the following scale:
1. Very Untrue. 2. Somewhat Untrue. 3. Neither True nor Untrue. 4. Somewhat True. 5. Very True.
1. I spend more time on Facebook than I intend to. 1 2 3 4 5
2. I feel anxious and upset when I cannot access my Facebook page. 1 2 3 4 5
3. I have more in common with the people I chat with on Facebook than I have with my spouse or partner.
1 2 3 4 5
4. I find myself neglecting some of my work responsibilities because of time I spend on Facebook. 1 2 3 4 5
5. Sometimes I lose sleep because of the time I spend on Facebook. 1 2 3 4 5
6. I have developed romantic feelings for someone I have reconnected with on Facebook. 1 2 3 4 5
7. Spending time on Facebook with my Facebook friends is more pleasant than the time I spend with my
spouse. 1 2 3 4 5
8. I lie to others about what I talk to friends about on Facebook. 1 2 3 4 5
9. I feel excited and energized when I access my Facebook page. 1 2 3 4 5
10. I would feel sad and depressed if Facebook ceased to exist. 1 2 3 4 5
11. I have concealed conversations that I have on Facebook from my partner. 1 2 3 4 5
12. I would not want my spouse or partner to be my Facebook friend. 1 2 3 4 5
13. I need to make sure that I have access to my Facebook page on vacations. 1 2 3 4 5
14. I feel that others would think less of me if they could see my private messages on Facebook. 1 2 3 4 5
15. Others have complained about the amount of time I spend on Facebook. 1 2 3 4 5
SCORING
15-30 You probably enjoy using Facebook, however it is unlikely that it is causing major issues in your
relationship.
31- 45 You obviously enjoy using Facebook and it is most likely an important part of your life, but it is
probably not controlling you.
46-60 Your Facebook use is quite possibly excessive. You may be experiencing some difficulties in
your life and relationships as a result of your Facebook use. You may want to consider ways to
reconnect and connect with your family and friends that do not involve Facebook. If you
continue to find yourself using Facebook as a major way to meet your emotional and social
needs, it is important that you put more time back into your primary relationships outside of
Facebook, or seek professional help.
60-75 Your Facebook use appears to be compulsive. It would most likely be helpful to seek a
professional therapist to help you sort out the role Facebook plays in your life.
allvoices

No comments:

Post a Comment